DiacollTM is a collagen Gentamicin sheet in the form of a sponge/transparent flim containing collagen and gentamicin sulphate. The collagen gentamicin implant is composed of highly purified type – I collagen obtained from bovine Tendon, which acts as a vehicle for the antimicrobial gentamicin. The collagen is derived from specifically controlled and certified animals and is highly purified to avoid any antiginicity. Gentamicin sulphate is a wide spectrum antibiotic that provides highly effective topical treatment in primary and secondary bacterial infections of the skin. DiacollTM is produced using the latest triple helix collagen technique to provide an optimum degree of flexibility and rigidity combined with the most predictable resorptive process.
Mechanism of Action :
DiacollTM comprises of a collagen foam incoproated with gentamicin sulphate. When applied on teh wound the collagen foam acts as a vehicle for the antimicrobial gentamicin. Collagen is absorbed slowly by the tissue in 6 to 10 days after is application. The purpose of the implant is to provide a high concentration of local gentamicin at the site of implantation. The DiacollTM comes prepacked and sterile and is intended for single use only.
- Diabetic foot ulcers.
- Orthopedic surgery.
- Treatment of osteomylitis and soft tissue infections.
- Abdominal wound infections.
Directions for use :
- In all cases standard established sterile surgical procedure must be observed.
- DiacollTM should be cut to the desired size to ideally extend 2-3mm beyond the edge of teh defect (s).
- The sheet once wet with blood tends to adapt extremely well to the bone/tissue walls.
Applications of DiacollTM implant on first day.
- Prepare the wound bed : Change and dispose of the old dressing in a safe, careful and appropriate manner.
- Accomplish appropriate wound debriment.
- Irrigate the wound gently and carefully with sterile saline water until wound is free of debris, necrotic slough etc.
- Gently blot wound edges and peri-wound margins dry.
- Apply DiacollTM
- Take the appropriate size of the DiacollTM cut open the sterile pouch.
- Cut the DiacollTM According to the shape of the wound and apply it to the wound surface.
- When applied to the wound surface it tends of adapt extremely well to the bone / tissue walls.
- Wound care dressing : The area may be covered with gauze dressing if desired.
Precautions & Comments :
- Wounds may appear larger during first several days of treatment due to reduction of edema.
- An increase in drainage may be seen in the first several days of treatement.
- Treatment of the underlying conditons (Venous or arterial flow, external pressure as well as nturitional support should proceed concurrently with the use of DiacollTM.
- Avoid patient hypersensitive to collagen, Gentamicin.
- A transient burning sensation may be experienced by a small percentage of patients.
How supplied : DiacollTM implant is supplied in the following sizesin a gamma sterilized pouch.
Sizes Available : 5cm x 5cm, 10cm x 10cm, 15cm x 30cm, 15cm x 65cm