Diacoll -STM is a Collagen Gentamicin Sheet in the form a sponge / Transparant film containing collagen and gentamicin sulphate. The collagen gentamicin implant is composed of highly purified type I collagen obtained from bovine Tendon, which acts as a vehicle for the antimicrobial gentamicin. The collagen is derived from specifically controlled and certified animals and is highly purified to avoid any antiginicity. Gentamicin sulphate is a wide spectrum antibiotic that provides highly effective topical treatment in primary and secondary bacterial infections of the skin. Diacoll -STM is produced using the latest triple helix collagen technique to provide an optimum degree of flexibility and rigidity combined with the most predictable resorptive process.
Mechanism of Action :
Diacoll -STM comprises of a collagen foam incoproated with gentamicin sulphate. When applied on the wound the collagen foam acts as a vehicle for the antimicrobial gentamicin. Collagen is absorbed slowly by the tissue in 6 to 10 days after is application. The purpose of the implant is to provide a high concentration of local gentamicin at the site of implantation. The Diacoll -STM comes prepacked and sterile and is intended for single use only.
- Diabetic foot ulcers.
- Orthopedic surgery.
- Treatment of osteomylitis and soft tissue infections.
- Abdominal wound infections.
Directions for use :
- In all cases standard established sterile surgical procedure must be observed.
- Diacoll -STM should be cut to the desired size to ideally extend 2-3mm beyond the edge of the defect (s).
- The sheet once wet with blood tends to adapt extremely well to the bone/tissue walls.
Applications of Diacoll -STM implant on first day.
- Prepare the wound bed : Change and dispose of the old dressing in a safe, careful and appropriate manner.
- Accomplish appropriate wound debriment.
- Irrigate the wound gently and carefully with sterile saline water until wound is free of debris, necrotic slough etc.
- Gently blot wound edges and peri-wound margins dry.
- Apply Diacoll -STM
- Take the appropriate size of the Diacoll -STM cut open the sterile pouch.
- Cut the Diacoll -STM According to the shape of the wound and apply it to the wound surface.
- When applied to the wound surface it tends of adapt extremely well to the bone / tissue walls.
- Wound care dressing : The area may be covered with gauze dressing if desired.
Precautions & Comments :
- Wounds may appear larger during first several days of treatment due to reduction of edema.
- An increase in drainage may be seen in the first several days of treatement.
- Treatment of the underlying conditons (Venous or arterial flow, external pressure as well as nturitional support should proceed concurrently with the use of Diacoll -STM.
- Avoid patient hypersensitive to collagen, Gentamicin.
- A transient burning sensation may be experienced by a small percentage of patients.
How supplied : Diacoll -STM implant is supplied in the following sizesin a gamma sterilized pouch.
Sizes Available : 5cms x 5cms, 10cms x 10cms, 5cms x 20 cms