Surgeons who treat chronic non-healing ulcers including diabetic ulcers and pressure ulcers etc., face a real challenge when it comes to the closure of the wounds due to inadequacies of conventional treatment protocols and complexities of ulcers. The result is catastrophic and traumatic. Quality of life suffers as many patients get into the stage of amputations especially in the case of diabetic foot ulcers. This is for this reason medicated bio-materials like Collofiber-MM play a very important role in the wound managment to alleviate the sufferings of millions of victims in this category.
Collagen is an extra cellula matrix protein playing a major role in connective tissue. It is the most abundant protein in humans and performs multiple functions. Collagen as a bio-material and its role in wound management is a well documented subject. Collagen encourages wound healing through the deposition and organization of freshly formed fibers and granulation tissues in the wound bed and thus creating a very conducive environment to wound healing.
Mupirocin – USP :
- Topical Mupirocin is very effective against S. Aureaus and this agent is invaluable in the eradication of staphylococci (oxford text book of medicine 3rd edn vol 1 p 526).
- Mupriocin is an antibiotic used in the treatment of various bacterial skin disorders (martindale, the extra pharmacopoeia 31st ednp 251)
- Mupirocin is an antibacterial agent and active against a wide range of gram +ve bacteria (PDR 55th EDN 2001 P 3075)
Metronidazole IP :
- Metronidazole topical cream is indicated in the treatment of gram-ve bacterial infections (PDR 55th edn 2001 p 291)
- Topical formulations of Metronidazole has proved effective in various skin disorders (martindale the extra pharmacopoeia p 624)
- Metronidazole is a member of the imidazole class of antibacterial agents and classified as an antibacterial (PDR 55th edn 2001 p 1115)
- Metronidazole has been used to treat anaerobic infections (oxfordtext book of medicine 3rd edv vol 1 p 575)
Collofibre – MM particles is primarily a type 1 collagen in lyophilized particle form with mupriocin USP 2% w/w and metronidazole IP 1% W/W of specified volumes. It is Gamma Sterillized and supplied in convenient pet containers collofibre-MM particles possessing good absorbing characteristics and is non-toxic non-allergenic and nonimmunogenic.
Indications : Non healing uclers | Diabetic foot ulcers | Pressure Ulcers | venous ulcers | traumatic wounds | surgical wounds | infected wounds |
Application Methodology :
- Assess, Debride and clean the wound according to your protocols.
- Apply collofibre-MM particles sufficiently to cover the wound.
- With a heavily draining wound cover with a absorbent dressing and change as necessary.
- With a minimal draining wound cover with a secondary non absorbent dressing and change as required.
- Remove the secondary dressing daily as indicated by the amount of draining.
- If dressing is adhered to the wound irrigate with saline solution until dressing loosens and lift gently.
- Reapply collofibre-MM particles as before.
Precautions and warning :
- wounds may appear larger during the first several days of treatment due to the reduction of edema.
- An increase in drainage may be seen in teh several day of treatment.
- Treatment of the underlying conditions as well as nutritional support should proceed concurrently with the use of collofibre-MM
- Avoid topical agents like povidone iodine, H2O2 and sodium hypochloride for cleansing the wound as their toxicity level may hamper the new tissue growth.
- Collofibre-MM particles is a single use product which should not be resterilized.
Storage : Collofibre-MM particles can be stored at normal room temperature.
Availability : 2.5ml, 5ml, 10ml and 15ml.